If you're looking for further resources on getting started in buiness, the Chamber provides the following resources for local entrepreneurs and new professionals:
- See the Chamber’s extensive list of business services for all area professionals.
- The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Starting a Retail Business, from the Michigan Retailers Association, brings together a wealth of information to help retailers start their own businesses.
- See the Starting a Business Checklist from the Enterprise Group.
- Phil’s Forum is dedicated to helping independent retailers succeed.
- Whiz Bang! Retail Mastery System - Foot Traffic Formula: A FREE 4-Part Course to Get Your Front Door Swingin' and Your Register Ringin'. 11 Modules available FREE on loan for members through the Chamber. Contact Susan@JacksonChamber.org for more information.
- The Nonprofit Network’s Leadership Book Club at the Jackson District Library offers a chance to read and discuss beneficial books with local professionals and business leaders. The NPN provides technical assistance and expertise to board members and management teams. Nonprofit Network acts as a community collaborator and point of coordination for gathering and disseminating information pertinent to nonprofits.
- Jackson District Library Resources for Business (JDL) New and expanded business resources are now accessible online for anyone with a library card. To locate these resources please click the JDL link to go to library's home page. On the left is 'Navigation', select 'Library Resources', on that page click the highlighted text 'Access the data bases', the resources are now listed alphabetically.
- The newest resource available is BusinessDecision which enables you to research consumer market data, demographic data, and market segmentation data associated with geographies you customize such as addresses, ZIP Codes, cities, and much more.
- The recently expanded resource is Reference USA which contains10.5 million businesses with the ability to search by company name, type of business, geography, business size and more.
- The Jackson County Data Network (JCDN) provides a centralized source of current and comparative information on Jackson County to assist and enhance planning and research. It contains data provided by numerous local agencies and organizations as well as links to state, federal and other data resources.
- The Michigan Small Business Technology Development Center provides counseling, training and research services to support the Michigan small business community.
- The Enterprise Group is Jackson’s one-stop-shop for economic growth and development. Be sure to watch the community promotional video on their home page.
- Jackson Area Manufacturers Association JAMA is a nonprofit organization of manufacturers that provides methods of training and networking for Jackson area companies. Check out the many resources for manufacturers under the 'Resources' tab on their website.
- The Jackson Inventors Network (JIN) is a regional nonprofit support group where inventors, marketers and creative people can find a platform to learn and network. JIN is a resource center with ideas, books, web site suggestions and other information to assist people with their creative endeavors. The group has many members that are inventors, some with patented products and some without. As well as many professional members, marketers, business owners, consultants and others with individual skills to help take an idea to the marketplace.
- The South Central Michigan Regional Entrepreneurial Collaborative is a one-stop-shop for sharing resources, best practices and support for local business through regional collaboration.
- South Central Human Resource Management Association SCHRMA provides a forum for education and networking among area human resources professionals, to advance the HR profession and to help their members grow professionally.
- South Central Michigan Works! helps employers recruit potential employees from a steady stream of competent and skilled workers.
- The Jackson Community College Job Bank provides employment skills workshops for job seekers, and referrals to skilled, talented workers for employers. Jackson Community College, Department of Corporate and Continuing Education
- Jackson Community College Corporate & Continuing Education brings business, education and training together by collaborating with economic and workforce development partners to better serve employers in the South Central Michigan region.
- Spring Arbor University, Gainey School of Business Students, through classes and internships provide resources (especially marketing and financial) for local, state or national business people interested in starting a new business, profit or nonprofit, or for enhancing their current organization. Students are provided cutting-edge training through opportunities to study with a wide range of professionals and experts, both in a classroom as well as in real-world settings.
- The Jackson Small Business Support Center offers business classes, consulting and mentoring, and a network of business associates.
- Arts and Cultural Alliance of Jackson County The Arts and Cultural Alliance of Jackson County (ACAJC) is a nonprofit organization. Our mission is to advocate for arts and culture in Jackson. In today's economy, the community that provides a high quality of life with a variety of arts and cultural events, facilities, parks and other recreation, is more likely to be successful because it will draw the innovative and tech-savy professionals who want to enjoy those amenities and raise their families in a culture rich environment. This is Jackson!
- Jackson County Intermediate School District Your one-stop-shop for all Jackson County public and charter school information. The JCISD is a leader and a facilitator in professional and curriculum development, school improvement teams, meeting state requirements and as a liaison for the Michigan Department of Education. The Jackson County ISD is among 57 local ISDs created by the state to assist local school districts in the delivery of education to their communities based on the needs of local districts.
- United Way of Jackson County Community Solutions and Initiatives
- Build It Jackson: A comprehensive website with links to all relevant websites for building anything in Jackson County.
For more information, call Mindy at (517) 782-8221 or email Mindy@JacksonChamber.org.
Checklist for Starting a Business
(This is not a complete list, nor is it in any particular order. Always contact professional resources, such as attorneys and accountants, for legally accurate information and assistance -...
» Read more on Checklist for Starting a Business